Thursday 14 July 2011

First Three Strides

I wrote an article about a week ago called Trust Your Coach, since then I talked with the player and he has been doing much better this week, hopefully it stays the same. I have elected to take a different tone in this post and talk about a kid that does everything you ask and more. Every coach has go to players...ones that stay later, work harder and raise up those around them. Players that everyday lay the brick perfectly on their way to creating the wall. If you had a team of these type of players I believe you would be close to unbeatable. They raise the energy and expectations, as Timo Cruz said from the movie Coach Carter, "And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same."

We have one of these players at the ACC, well more than one, but the player I am currently referring to is Ben Sexton. It is unlikely that he will read this blog until I leave. At that point I will tell him to check it out, but Ben is one of those special players. He plays for Clarkson University and was drafted by the Boston Bruins in the 7th round in the 2009 entry draft. Ben spent the last week at Bruins camp where by the sounds of it he tested well. However in a meeting with management Ben was told that he needed to increase the speed of his first three strides. The very first thing that Ben asked when he got into the gym today, how can I get faster in my first three strides? What can I do everyday that will make a difference?  I cannot speak to his on ice performance but off the ice Ben has a manic work ethic. The moment he was told he had a weakness he asked how to fix it. Not disregarding the comment out of egotistical reasons as many people do. He ate his humble pie and asked for seconds.

Today something happened that really embodied Ben's attitude and work ethic. It was something that most in the gym probably didn't notice. While front squatting Ben had just increased the weight and dropped the bar on his second rep of 6. As we put the weight back on the rack I said drop the weight and finish the set. He looked at me angerly, said "F*** Off, I'll struggle" and proceeded to hit his last 4 reps. He then walked over to one of the other guys in the gym that was sittting exhausted on the bench, and placed more weight on the bar. The player looked up and said how he was already grinding to get through that weight. Ben's reply, "Your cracking the line up this season."

All this happened in about 2 minutes and it wasn't a show but rather Ben Sexton being himself. I was more than happy to have my comment of 'lower the weight' shoved back down my throat and could only smile at the character display. The funny thing about people with that work ethic is that it carries over into other aspects of life and those people typically find success because they are willing to out work other people. 
Take a lesson from Ben Sexton and go work on your first three strides.

No comments:

Post a Comment