Thursday 16 June 2011

Humble Pie

Growing up our parents always told us to drink our milk, eat our vegetables, and make a big Zero on our plate. At least mine did because I had to do all of those things to get desert, and if I was lucky desert was pie. Now that I am older my parent's lessons have stuck with me, drink my milk, eat my vegetables and make a big Zero. My desert of choice has changed of late to something that is much sweeter and more bitter at the same time...Humble Pie. You are all probably wondering where you can pick yourself up this tasty treat and if you are not, well, you should be. The beautiful thing about Humble Pie is that there are bakery's everywhere and they all have their own personal twist on a timeless classic. 
I mentioned a couple blogs back how I have reevaluated a lot of my life choices/ opinions and the biggest lesson I have learned is eat your Humble Pie, often. I was quite guilty of narrow mindedness in regard to certain aspects of my life, school and my career path in particular, and was so comfortable in my surroundings that my servings of pie came infrequently and in small amounts. I was starving and didn't know it, I thought I was full. 
In the last month however, I have had slices served almost daily and feel that I am growing exponentially as a person/professional. A slice each day reminds me the importance of learning and listening to everyone's opinions and more importantly that I need to strive to be better tomorrow than I am today. It's a slow process and you cannot be discouraged by the seemingly vast amounts of pie left in the dish for the next day, just keep chewing. Eventually, you may even be able to bake your own pie and like any good baker you want to have the best ingredients and best recipe possible. If not, who will want to eat your pie?

No comments:

Post a Comment