Thursday 19 May 2011

Learning from the Big Guy

As I enter the blog culture I feel it is appropriate that I am standing at a kitchen counter writing this while my pasta is cooking. I have my power writing stance and am ready to go.. The topic for this entry is learning from the big guy it is not really a tip or concept but rather my most recent observation. In the common day weight room to much emphasis is placed on how much WEIGHT is on the bar and as a result technique and form take a back seat. It is great is you squat 300 but all you weight being on your toes, your knees knocking together and that 1 1/2 inch of depth does not impress me. Even in gyms where the idea of functional training is common place too many athletes add inappropriate weight. The worst culprits are usually the big guys 200+ they don't want to be viewed as weak or see smaller athletes lifting more weight. However, I was able to watch a couple really big guys, (227 and 218 respectably) hit lifts with their egos in the change room. Both are struggling from shoulder issues and extremely weak lower/mid trap. They had been focusing on correcting this and neither was embarrassed that the 1 1/4lbs magnetic plate was as heavy as they were going to get to lift today. At the same time I looked across the room and one of the smaller hockey players was murdering his reps with dumbbells 15 lbs too heavy. So my lesson is learn from the big guys if they are able to leave their ego in the change room and hit lifts technically sound you can to, you aren't building any strength cheating yourself and when that strength gets called on in a real situation the tank is going to show E . If you do all the little things right the weight will come. Coach V.

We come nearest to the great when we are great in humility - Tagore

No comments:

Post a Comment