Friday 27 May 2011

NO CELL PHONE RULE

This post is dedicated to Chris Cooper, the man without a phone. Also just the man in general.

As a society we are really cracking down on where cell phones can be used, they are no longer allowed at work, school, or while driving-probably a good idea really. However they are utilized nearly everywhere else, I will admit that I am quite liberal with my use, not as bad as some but worse than others. Prior to ranting I will admit that I occasionally break this rule, but when I do I have my usual internal berating and am rather unhappy with myself. This is kind of how the conversation goes,
Moral ME - Really? I am disgusted
Guilty ME - But it was just a second and I
Moral ME - Disgusted go wait in the car
Guilty ME - But I Just needed to..
Moral ME- Car
Guilty ME - OK

What am I referring to? Cell Phone use in the gym. Nothing irritates me more than people who bring their phones into the gym and text between sets or water breaks in a class. This is right up there with the magazine on the treadmill and Sudoku puzzle riding the bike. Very few people are so important that they need their cell phone for the 1.5 hours that workout will occupy. Yes, there are extenuating circumstances but on the whole there is absolutely no reason not to leave your cell phone in the car/change room. Having a cell phone in the gym prevents you from entering the correct mindset, it constantly pulls you away from the now and into somewhere less important. Your Mom, Boyfriend, Wife can all wait. It is your time treat it as such.

The gym and your workout should be something pure, an opportunity to remove the manacles of modern society and live in the moment. Let your senses drink it it, the sweet smell of sweat, the acidic taste in your throat, the feel of work in your hands, the sounds of heavy breathing and grunts. As a kid I read a lot of fantasy novels and still do,  I always felt that a black smith must have one of the most rewarding jobs. For me the shop held this magic. It is where a smith execute his craft; the smells, tastes, sounds all combined together as he toils away. I can always feel the heat, see the strain as a chunk of useless metal is forged into something beautiful. Beads of sweat and blood mixed together to create a masterpiece, whatever it may be. The smith is not distracted by common comings and goings but rather focused solely on his task until it is completed, because he knows that if not he will have to redo that step of the process.

Be that blacksmith, let the gym be your forge, your goal is that chunk of iron that is slowly (one workout at a time) being hammered into a masterpiece. Revel in your environment and deal with the phone later, after the important stuff is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment