Monday 29 August 2011

Lessons from Dad





I apologize once again for the delay I have this post and another for you on Wednesday. I got an opportunity to sit down and write this while I was out at Pancake Campground recharging the batteries. (I know I shouldn't have brought technology but I have been slacking on my posts) I have been working at the new Catalyst/ SCMMA facility with Josh and a few other guys and it is really coming together. The three classes I have made have been fantastic and it is a great place to come out and train. It is both very welcoming and open.

This week we have been renovating the new facility and it really has been a team effort. I have borrowed about 15 different things from my Dad and made 4 calls a day for advice on how to do certain things. This week inspired me to write this post. Although we have always been close but neither of us is really emotional (because as a man you write your feelings on a piece of paper and swallow them) so he may pretend he didn't read this.

As a kid we all have hero's, I never really had one. Instead, I liked a bunch of different people for different reasons. Mostly, I just wanted to be a ninja turtle or something like that. As we get older and begin to develop different philosophies I think our hero's begin to really take shape and define us. Within the last few years my Dad has become my hero, I think it took so long because I never understood all the things he had done for me and thought that that was just what Dad's do. Below is the top three reasons why my Dad is my hero.

  1. Give Generously
      My Dad has spent the majority of my childhood coaching me. He took time out of his schedule every week to teach me and my teammates the sport of hockey. Was my Dad the best coach in the world, no probably not. But he was willing to give us all the time we needed to teach us what he knew and often times that is more important. His love for coaching is a huge influence on my career choice as a strength coach. Outside of the sports world his attitude remains the same I have watched him put together many a deck, garage or dock just because someone had asked for help.
  1. If you do Something, do it Right.
      My Dad now paints for a living and I have been recruited out to help a time or two. I have also seen him work late hours multiple days in a row. I asked him once why he didn't hire help and he said that he didn't want to have to worry about another employees work. If he does it himself he knows that it is done right, and he can take pride in the work that is done. This is one lesson that I have really taken to heart. Don't half ass your work if you care about it. No I do not always give 110 percent on everything I do but I try to.
  1. Find something you Love then find a way to make a living at it
        This is something that my Dad has always said to me. You have to look forward to each day, going to work should never be a chore. Some days it is going to suck, but on the whole you better love what you do. When I was in my second year of university I wanted to change my majors but wasn't sure. I drove to my Dad's job site and watched him paint for an hour while he listened. In the end he told me to make my own judgement but to do something I would love. That afternoon was one of the most influential in my life although nothing special marked the day but a can of paint and a drop sheet.
Ps. On a side note I also love my mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment